Friday, February 27, 2009

King Benjamin



I thought this was such a cute and funny stroy that I have to share. It happened last sunday, so it's kind of late; but still funny.

Nick and I just recently got called BACK into the primary in our new ward. We teach a class of 4-5 year olds together. This last week our lesson was on Prophets. At the very beginning of the class we told the kids that we would be having a special guest that was coming to visit us and talk to us. We told them he was a King and was a very good guy. After that, Nick told them that he was going to go find him and bring him in to meet them. Nick proceeded to go out into the hallway, wrap an ivory sheet around him with a belt around that, and then put the "Burger King" crown on. I wish I would of had my camera with me. :) Nick was such a great sport about this dress up thing.

While Nick was out "looking" for King Benjamin, one of the sweet little girls in our class looked SO sad. I asked what was wrong and why she wasn't excited to meet the King. She then burst into tears and in between sobbs I got out that she was scared to meet the King and didn't want him to come to our class. :( I walked across the room towards her chair trying not to laugh. I explained to her that this King was SOO nice and he was going to teach her about Prophets. I asked her if she wanted me to sit with her when the King came in. That wasn't stopping the tears. She then asked "Does he have a beard?" It was the funniest thing. I tried not to smile and explained that he doesn't have a beard, hes really nice. That didn't stop her crying either. This whole time I'm thinking, what a great idea to have Nick come in dressed up as a King... The kids will LOVE it. And now... they were crying. What would they tell their parents when they got home? Finally I had to tell her a "secret." That it wasn't REALLY a King, it was Nick playing dress-up. She laughed then and was excited to meet the "King."

So in walks Nick with his whole outfit on and the kids started laughing. They knew it was him of course and loved it after that. The NEAT thing about this story/experience was the crown in the picture above. When Nick walked in with the crown on his head, I was thinking to myself, where did he find that paper crown? I knew we didn't have one at home and then it hit me... there was a Burger King in between our house and the church. I was shocked that he went to Burger King to get this stupid crown. After the lesson I asked him about it. He laughed and said You won't believe this, but I found it on the side of the road on my way home to get the outfit for the lesson. We both laughed and shook our heads. To us, that was a tender mercy... how ironic?! :)

4 comments:

Trevor & Andrea said...

Way to go Nick! haha that is a cute story! I wish we taught primary together! Instead Trev teaches primary with Michael Asay, and I... I bet youll never guess :)... play the piano relif society... its good though i would never play if i did not have that calling

aubri said...

Oh what a fun class! That is so cute and something you 2 will ALWAYS remember!!!

Lindsay said...

That is too funny, I can't belive he found a crown! That is crazy, one man's trash is another man's treasure;)Chad and I taught in primary when we were first married and have a lot of fun memories from being able to share that calling, good times. Enjoy it!! Love you guys, can't wait to see you in a couple weeks!!!!

Jason & Claire said...

I can't believe you guys got called to that AGAIN! It sounds like you are so cute with the little tikes. That's awesome that he found a crown. What fun teachers you are!