Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Year Ago Today...

... Nick and I were engaged and were apart from each other. He was in Vegas and I was in Wyoming finishing school. My mom had called me about a week prior to this and told me that Allegiant Air (an airline company that does WAY cheap flights from Billings to Vegas) was having GREAT deals on flights for the weekend of Valentines day. I of course was SOO excited to hear this news and thought it was a great chance for Nick to come to Wyoming and see me for the weekend. I called me right away and could hardly contain myself as I told him this exciting news. He on the other hand was NOT NEARLY as excited as I was. He was acting VERY strange about it and said that he wouldn't be able to get work off. For $29 for a one-way flight he couldn't even try to get work off? I was very disappointed and hung up the phone. Well, little did I know he already had this weekend ALL planned out to come see me. :) :) :) He was SOO sneaky about it all too and I fell for it all.
This next couple of days I was acting very awkward towards Nick on the phone. As if being apart wasn't hard enough, knowing that he didn't want to see me was enough to call the whole thing off. He took my bad attitude and snotty remarks very well. I'm surprised he didn't give in and just tell me he was coming to surprise me, so that he didn't have to deal with my attitude anymore.
He sent my a Valentine's package in the mail just to make it seem like he wasn't coming. I loved it and was coming to terms with the fact that I wasn't going to be able to see him. :( That Valentine's Day was a Thursday and the Friday after, our student ward was having a Valentine's dance. My best friend Kate's, dad, was the DJ at the dance and so I went with her to help them set up. Of course I didn't stay for long because I didn't really have a purpose to be there (Nick wasn't there). Before going to help Kate, I remember getting a phone call from Nick. I heard a voice in the background that sounded like it was coming from an over com system. I asked him what it was and he told me that it was something at work. I believed it and found out later that it was the airport, and he tried desperately to cover it up. So after I was done helping Kate, I went home and started cleaning my apartment. About and hour later, Kate called me asking if I could bring a couple mountain dews to her dad. He was dying for one and after all, I knew what that felt like! :) Little did I know, Kate called me to get me out of my apartment. While I was gone, Nick snuck into my apartment. Braden picked him up from the Billings airport and drove him to Powell. He called Kate when he arrived and she got me out of the house. When I got to the dance to give Kate the drinks, Nick had Braden take a picture of him sitting in my apartment, holding up a sign that said "WISH YOU WERE HERE!!!" I received a text on my phone and opened it. I saw the picture of Nick, realized it was MY apartment in the background and started SCREAMING!!! I took off right in the middle of Kate's sentence and she yelled surprise to me while I left. I sped around the corner to my apartment, running the stops signs and all! :) I ran down into my apartment to find him there!!!! :) That was the best Valentine's Day EVER!! I will NEVER forget it!

5 comments:

Jason & Claire said...

I remember you telling me this story. I think it's so funny how you kept saying snotty things. What a fun memory! I hope you guys had a fun trip. Can't wait to hear about it!

aubri said...

Okay, cutest story EVER!

Trevor & Andrea said...

that is funny! very sneaky!

lacey bassett said...

that was a very intense story!! you had me at the edge of my seat! what a great husband you have lindi :) tell him to keep up the good work!

Destiny said...

How cute! So what did you guys do this year? I hope he had something exciting planned to out do last year :)