Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Proposal

Like I said, my mom and Nick had planned to the whole thing. I've always LOVED the Salt Lake Temple, but because of the distance from our hometown to Salt Lake, we've chosen not to be married there. Nick LOVES to get everything on camera so he knew that he wanted to get pictures of it all. My mom knows Heather White, who lives in the Salt Lake area and wondered if she might be willing to photograph this amazing moment. Heather is an Amazing photographer and does such a great job. Nick wanted it to be a huge surprise to me and so they both came up with this plan and it worked out just great.
We spent January 8, 2008 on Temple Square. Nick hadn't seen the Joseph Smith movie yet, so we watched that and then had lunch. We walked around and looked at all the beautiful landscaping. The spirit was strong there and it was such a nice feeling and experience to be there together that day. Nick was acting all sorts of weird. "Don't look in my bag", and "don't look through my phone either." LOL!! It was pretty funny. After walking around all afternoon, I was starting to get a little curious. We still had to make the 7 hour drive to Vegas that day and it was 1:00 in the afternoon. I wanted to get going, but Nick was like, "Let's just keep walking around a little longer." We had seen everything on those grounds at least 4 times. :) Finally Nick said we could probably go. We started heading toward the gate when this lady came up to us and told us she was with LDS Living Magazine and she was doing an article on people enjoying temple square. She explained she needed pictures of people just walking around. She then asked if she could take some shots of Nick and I as we walked around. Nick told her that we needed to get going and was sort of rude. I was like um Nick, that's rude, she can take a few pictures then we need to get going.
Of course this was Nick's plan. The lady was Heather White. My mom had gotten ahold of her and asked if she would be willing to do this for us. Heather loved the idea and did an amazing job at disguising herself as someone else. She totally had me going.
After getting a few shots of us just walking around, Heather asked if we would be willing to pose for the "cover" shot. We agreed and she had us sit in the edge of one of the gorgeous fountains. She told us to just act like we were talking and casually sitting there. While we were just acting casual, Nick says to me, "You want to know why I've been acting so weird today?" I was like ya, that would be nice. He continued to tell me that he went out to be parents house and talked to them about... at this very second I had figured out what was going on. I began trying to figure out the whole thing. That's when it hit me... Heather was NOT from LDS Living Magazine. She knew Nick and he had planned this whole thing. After I calmed down and tuned Nick back in, he was down on one knee with a ring in his hand.
It was ALL I could do to keep back the tears. He then asked me to marry him. I was SHOCKED. We had talked all about where we would live, where I would finish my schooling, when we would get married... but we also talked about not getting engaged UNTIL later. I said yes and kissed and hugged him. I was SO excited and happy. It was the MOST amazing day. Heather was such a good sport about taking the time to come do that for us. She even took us around for another hour or so and took engagement pictures for us. She did an AMAZING job. Check it out...



Watch the AMAZING video that Heather made for us:

No comments: