Sunday, September 14, 2008

BBQ, County Fair, Football Game, and Exhibition....

Since school has started, Nick and I have been trying to adjust to our "new" schedules. We've found that with both of our school and work schedules, it's hard to spend as much time together as we'd like. Yes... I know, this is real life and we're adjusting. So when we do get time together, we try to make the best of it and we've had A LOT of fun the past couple of weeks. When we do get time together, I try not to sit on the computer and blog, so therefore, I am very behind and am going to combine A LOT of events into one post.
We went to the first UNLV football game the weekend of Labor day. It was pretty fun and we kept moving up and farther away from the "wild student section." We finally found our comfortable place at the top of the student section where we also noticed a couple of LDS families had also made it "their place." :) Much nicer atmosphere up there. UNLV ended up winning which was kind of surprising since they aren't very good, but then again, we were playing the Aggies. :)
On our way TO the game (Saturday night), we decided LAST min. that we should invite some friends/families over for a Labor Day BBQ. We invited up to 30 people and planned to have Bassett burgers, Brats, Potato Salad (which I made using mom's recipe... very nice turn out), No-bake Cookies, Sugar Cookies, Chips, Watermelon, and Pop. We ended up having about 20 people show up and it was VERY fun to just relax and visit with everyone. Everyone said they enjoyed themselves too which is always a relief. I did learn that we won't do something like that last min. because of ALL the hard work that goes into. If we would of had more time to plan, clean, cook, and organize, it would have been a little easier. :) Live and learn right?

The next weekend we went to the Bodies Exhibition. As Nick is taking his EMS classes and they were covering the Anatomy section, his professor told him that if he went to this exhibition, he would receive extra credit. The tickets to this exhibition are $35 dollars a piece and so it WOULD have cost us over $70 to go, but one of Nick's classmates works at the exhibition and got us in FREE!! Yes I know, we lucked out again! :) For those of you who aren't familiar with this exhibition, you have to check out this website (then click on the video or picture gallery on the right side of the screen). Yes, they are REAL human bodies that have been preserved so it's kind of freaky if you think about it. :) But I do have to say, that after you get past the eerie part it, it's truly amazing to see what our bodies are made of. I kept shaking my head in awe. I told Nick more than once that Heavenly Father sure is a genius and VERY creative. If ANY of you haven't seen this, but get the chance someday, I'm telling you... you HAVE TO see it.
And to fully catch us up, this weekend Nick and I went to the Temple and then to the County Fair. We've set a goal to go every other Saturday and we missed last week and so it felt as if we hadn't been there in FOREVER. Afterwards, we both agreed that our visit was LONG overdue and we were SO glad to go back. We set a new goal because we feel so blessed to have a temple in the same city we live in and LOVE going to the temple. I was telling Nick that my testimony of the temple is growing more and more each time we go. That week that we missed was NOTICED in that week in school and at work for the both of us. We are now going to try our hardest to go every Saturday and are looking forward to it. After the temple, we went to the County Fair. Okay, it's NOTHING like the Powell, Wyoming fair. Of course there were THOUSANDS of people and so it made the lines for the rides and food VERY long. We weren't there for very long because of the atmosphere and amount of people. It was fun to experience though, and now we know the difference of a Nevada county fair and a Wyoming county fair. ;)
Here are a few pictures of the UNLV football game, the BBQ, and the Fair (in order).

6 comments:

Jason & Claire said...

This is silly but I'm so glad to see someone else combine a lot into one post. I always try not to have such long posts but I want to get it all in there for records sake.

Looks like you guys have had a great couple of weeks. It's good that you are making use of the time you have together. All of your pictures are cute. The BBQ was great. Thanks for having us. You did a great job!

We have been to the bodies exhibition a few times. My dad knows one of the inventors of the stuff used to do whatever they do to the bodies to make them that way. So we get in free too. Maybe we could go together sometime. I think it's really interesting. I see something new everytime I go. Sorry this is such a long comment! ;)

Tracy said...

You're turning into quite the little homemaker. So glad you're developing a love for the temple!! We're proud of you!!!

Bagleys said...

It all sounds great Lind! I love it! Way, way fun! :)

Bob & Dani said...

You guys are movers and shakers! Maybe Bob and I are just boring and old by now;)! I'm glad that you're having fun and that things are going so well for you. See you soon!

aubri said...

I'm so bummed we missed out on the BBQ- it looks like you had a ton of fun though! We were so glad you guys stopped by the other night! I thought it was someone else and then when I saw it was you two, I got so excited! We need to get together more! And I owe you some cookies!

Destiny said...

You are very lucky to have a temple right where you live, I'm jealous! We've been trying to go once a month, but even that is hard sometimes. I know there have definitely been days where going to the temple would have been the perfect thing to make me feel better. Take advantage of it!!! Glad you guys have been having so much fun, hope school is going well!