Friday, July 9, 2010

Girls Camp...Here I Come!!

Girls Camp keeps getting closer and closer as we leave for Mt. Charleston on Tuesday. Being Camp Assistant has been a very very big and busy calling for me. I have to say I'm glad it's coming up this week so I can focus on Nursery again. I feel like all the preperation for Camp has left me neglecting the kids in Nursery; however, its been nice to meet more people outside of Nursery and get to know the girls as well.

The Stake theme for Girls Camp this year is, "The Fairest of Them All.." So each ward chose a 'princess' or fairy tale as their individual theme. We chose Little Red Riding Hood our color is red and the value we chose is individual worth. As each of us have put long hours and thought into camp, we have each done things to give to the girls during the week that go along with individual worth, choosing the right, and staying away from the wordly "bad wolves". :) I decided that making journals for them and encouraging them to keep a journal would definetly help them to learn the importance of their individual worth. I have also prepared a devotional for the night I give them the journals and am using a talk by President Spencer W. Kimball. He says:
“We may think there is little of interest or importance in what we personally say or do- but it is remarkable how many of our families, as we pass on down the line, are interested in all that we do and all that we say...
Your journal should record the way you face up to challenges that beset you.
Your journal, like most others, will tell of problems as old as the world and how you dealt with them. Your Journal should contain your true self rather than a picture of you when you are ”made up” for a public performance.
Your journal is your autobiography, so it should be kept carefully, You are unique, and there may be incidents in your experience that are more noble and praiseworthy in their way than those recorded in any other life.”
I included all of these important quotes on the inside cover of the journals so the girls can always refer back to them. Here is what I did....
First, we took profiles pictures of each and everyone of the girls. Then I put them into Photoshop to make black/white profiles...

Second, I designed the front cover, inside front cover, outside back cover and inside back cover...

Third, I bought 11 black/white composition notebooks

Fourth, I printed the design I created in Photoshop and applied with Modge Podge each one to the notebooks.
Fifth, I made red and white rosettes to apply to the front of each journal...



And here is how they turned out...


What do you think? I hope the girls like them and that they will take time to keep a journal and remember the importance of it. More to come on Girls Camp next week!

12 comments:

Bagleys said...

Seriously! Again, I will say that you could EASILY sell your stuff and people will buy them up in bundles!!!!!!! You're talented!!! I want one of those cute journals for ME! :D Miss you!

Jason & Claire said...

Oh my heck! You're amazing! You put so much work into your callings. I was so sad about not going to camp when I got released. But now I have to admit it's the last place I'd want to be now;) Those books are incredible. I can't wait to hear about your experience. The girls are lucky to have you!;)

Bob & Dani said...

WOWEE!!! I love them. Soooo cute. Good work, Lindi Jo. You're amazing - no doubt.

Trevor & Andrea said...

For some reason I tried to leave a comment and it did not show. SO I will say it again. You never cease to amaze me with your talen. Can I have some of it... please! Seriously Lindi your one clever girl. Miss you, love ya

Lindsay said...

Um, amazing. Chad and I were asked to speak to the youth a while back and I did a journal idea as well, but they were not half as amazing as those. Very nice!!

Jill Asay said...

Super cute, Lindi...the girls will love them! You are so stinkin' talented! Hey...do you know of any free digital scrapbooking websites that are good?

Tracy said...

I'm so proud of you and your willingness to use and share your talents!! The girls should treasure those journals forever!! Enjoy camp and have some fun!!

I LOVE the journals!! Very creative and super cute!!

Richard & Katie said...

WOW Lindi Jo, those are some super cute journals! I bet the girls will love them. You went to a lot of work but of course, as always, you made it look easy! You rock and I bet those girls will have blaste with you at camp!

Desi said...

OMG lindi these are so cute.

Kimberly said...

WOW! They are great and I'm sure the girls will love them! That's so great that you've put so much into them! That will mean a lot to the girls! I hope you have a great week! Girls camp is the best and I miss it!! Enjoy!

Jack Attack said...

you did such a great job! the girls really appreciated it. I posted a few camp photos. I'll get the rest to you by sunday (hopefully)

Mattie said...

Lindi, these are amazing!!! What a special treat :)