Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Successful Antique Shopping

A couple weeks ago Nick and I spent hours in this Antique Mall, looking for a specific gift for a friend. Well, I just had to take this opportunity that Nick took me to an Antique Mall and look for ideas for our condo. :) It's not very often we go to Antique Malls... my husband REALLY LOVES to shop! ;) SO after looking around for a while, I found this window back in a corner...
Some of you may be looking at this saying, "okay, why did you want this?" Then there are people like my mom who are saying, "that has some potential!" :) Those of you who have seen my mom's house understand her obsession with old doors and windows and why she would say this piece has potential. :) So thanks for the idea mom! Of course I had to pay a little money for mine, while most of yours are found in old houses for free. But, the lady was very nice and gave us half off, so ended up paying $25 for it.

So I took this thing home and chipped off all the old loose paint. I sanded it, and then washed it down with soap and water trying to get all the loose dirt off. Then I painted it black. Here's how it turned out.
I used a painting technique that would result in it looking older. I didn't want to loose ALL of the old paint, so it would add to the layers and worn look. Now what right? Still needs a little more work until it's finished. AND where is it going to go in our condo you may be wondering.
Well, Nick and I have these gorgeous wedding pictures and even though it has been over a year since we had them taken, they're still beautiful. AND... there aren't very many in our living room, the room where most people would be able to see them. Plus, there's this big wall that our couch sits against that looks kind of bare because there aren't very many things decorating it.
This is the BEFORE picture:
SO, with a little redecorating and bringing in our wedding pictures, this awesome window was a success.
The window with wedding pictures from the field and some ribbon added.

And the finished product...After adding more frames with more wedding pictures, and some mirrors, the project was complete. I also added coordinating ribbon to some of the frames to tie it all together.
What do you think? Is it too much?
This was all possible with the help and patience of my husband. Thanks sweety! :) And thanks mom for the inspiration!
I'm excited for the next trip to the Antique Mall!! :)

13 comments:

Tracy said...

Looks amazing!! Good thing she gave you the window 50% off!! Because $50 would have been way too much!! Love it, it's the perfect finishing touch. Keep lookin' for great finds at that antique mall...old quilts are always good!! :-)
Love Ya!

Lindsay said...

Love it, looks awesome!

Emily Asay said...

that is way cute, love it

Emily Asay said...

that is way cute, love it

Jill Asay said...

what a cute idea!

Jason & Claire said...

I love it! It's not too much at all. You have the best wedding pictures ever! I'm glad you got to use more of them;)

Kimberly said...

From the pictures, it really looks like it makes the space seem larger and more open! Great job! So good to talk to guys the other day!

Michelle Thompson said...

I love it!

Bagleys said...

I still really just need you to come here and decorate my house. I SUCK at it. Really, I need help. Lol. It looks really good!!!! Way to be!

aubri said...

That came out fabulous! Looks way cute!

Bob & Dani said...

Good work! You're so talented. I'm sure your entire condo is beautiful! Love you!

katealyson said...

Oh it turned out perfect Lindi. Absolutely gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I haven't checked the blog for awhile. I really like how you did the wall -- shows your personality AND your pictures.

Love, Terri