Friday, August 14, 2009

The Final Project

{NOTE: This post is mainly for my family due to them asking about my drawings. It's also nice to journal because of the hard work and things that I learned. I will warn you that the pictures are HORRIBLE and you will have to click on them to really see whats going on. Have you ever tried to photograph drawings? Not easy!}
As some of you already know, I took a summer class and just finished 2 weeks ago. The class I took was called Introduction to Drafting Theory. This was one of the first of many drawing classes I will have within the next 2 semesters. :) I LOVE to draw and after getting my Associates of Fine Art from Powell, WY, I slowly started to stop drawing. I just didn't make time for it and taking this class made me realize how much I really enjoy it and how much I miss doing it.
Of course this class was a different kind of drawing from the ones I've done before, but it was still drawing. :) Drafting Theory is all about drawing floor plans of a specific building for constructors to use. Even though this class was only 2 months long, I cannot believe how much I learned.

Our first "big" assignment was to draw a Kitchen Floor Plan using 4 different scales on Vellum that was 18"x 24". This assignment was given to us so that we could practice and get used to using different scales that are used in drawings. You can see from the drawing below that drawing in different scales will result in a smaller or larger overall drawing.
This drawing is just on Vellum, using pencil, colored pencil, and marker. The final drawing had to be ran through a machine, with another piece of paper, to create a "blue print". This process was referred to as "running blue lines".

After passing that assignment, we stared to work on "THE Final Project". :) Our final project consisted of drawing 6 separate plans drawn on 18"x 24" Vellum paper. These plans would construct a Library. The 6 drawings were:
(Remember, clicking on the photos will help to see what's going on ;) )
1. The Main Floor Plan
2. The Reflected Ceiling Plan
3. Exterior Elevations
(These two may be the only 2 drawings where you can tell whats even going on because they are the how the outside of the building will end up looking, and how the inside of the 2 bathrooms will look.)
4. Interior Elevations

On the Interior Elevations we only had to do the womens and mens Restrooms. Thank goodness for that. I can't imagine having to do the entire Interior Elevations for this assignment. :)

5. Wall Sections

Wall Sections show the materials needed in order for the walls to be constructed correctly.

6. Building Details

Building Details consisted of 4 smaller drawings. These were simply the details that the constructor would need to know that could not be found of the coordinating plans.

We also had to "run blue lines" before this project was complete and bind all of the plans together.(You'll notice the red marks on this drawing. This is the graded complete project. Now you know why I didn't want to take pics of the blue prints... TOO many red marks :) )


This may not look like much, but believe me, when your teacher marks off points for a line overlapping another by 1/32 of an inch, or if the measurement of the line is off by 1"... it becomes a big deal. :) With the time restraint it was very stressful and many longs days were spent finishing this. :)
It was an interesting class and MOST interesting of all was the teacher. Let me explain why... This course was 8 weeks long. Well Nick and I went to Wyomng for a full week right in the middle of this course. My teacher warned me, that skipping one full week of the summer semester, is equivilant to skipping 2 full weeks of a regular semester, but assured me that together work it out. Ya, probably NOT so smart to miss that much, but we still went to Wyoming and I had to work by buns off to catch back up and finish on time. When I was finishing up the very last day of class and about to turn in my project, my classmates informed me that the teacher would MOST definetly be impressed because while I was in Wyoming, he told the entire class that he gives me 2 weeks before I drop the class because of the work load when I return. Well, there were PLENTY of words I wanted to say to that man when I turned in my final, but getting an A was good enough for me! :)

10 comments:

KrIStiN said...

Holy crap woman..u amaze me!! I wouldn't even know where to begin!! WOW..good job!

Tracy said...

EXCELLENT!!! Way to go JONES!! AMAZING!! :-) We are proud of you!!
Love Ya!!

Lindsay said...

WOW, way to go! Tell your teacher to make the class a little harder next time if they are going to talk smack about you when you aren't there:)

Jason & Claire said...

I'm so proud of you. You're making me miss school. You are one amazing woman! Cute, classy, & smart! Nick's one lucky guy;) By the way, even on the one the teacher graded you still got a 39/40. You can't complain about that! Is that big cirlce thin on the first drawings the tall part on the exteriors? I'm trying to figure them out!

Melissa said...

That looks great, Lindi Jo!! You've really got talent many would envy!

Bob & Dani said...

Wow, that's intense! I'm so glad that you enjoyed the class. Your drawings look amazing. Good luck with the upcoming semester! Love you!

Kimberly said...

GOOD FOR YOU!! Way to show that teacher! I am sooo impressed! I took a class kind of like that...it was stage design and it wasn't nearly as complicated as your drawings and it was all I could do to get through that class! I'm so glad you stuck it out and did SO well!!

Michaell & Madison said...

way to go lindi!!! they look great!

Richard & Katie said...

Wow there were a ton of red marks on your graded work that I could hardle see what you even drew. Your too hard on yourseld becasue those drawings were all good and looked very hard to do. I bet that teacher of yours hated that he could only take one point off of your work. Thats what happens when you have amazing skills. Your rock sis!!

katealyson said...

Yay! Man, Lind, they turned out great! You did a fantastic job. Way to stick it to him! :) xoxo