Thursday, August 21, 2008

LAST Second Camping Trip

First off, I have to say that my husband is always surprising me with the sweetest things. I was taking a nap the other day and then the next time I checked our blog, I found his surprise. Isn't he a sweetheart? I love him! k, I just had to explain....

Monday night Nick and I were doing things around the house and he's like, "We should go camping." I told him it would take us some time to get things together and we weren't prepared at all. He ALMOST agreed until I reminded him that this was the last day we would have because he had to work the next day and school starts for us on 25th. At that moment NOTHING mattered: not what time it was, not how long it would take us to get up there, not how long it would take to get all the camping supplies ready... NOTHING!! And he had already made our minds up, we were going camping. Ok... just to set the scene for you so you know how crazy this idea was. It was 6 PM when we decided to go camping and I KNEW that we'd be setting up camp in the DARK. We knew it would take us at least 30 mins. to get to the mountain, and we knew we had to be back the next day before 4 pm. Nick got all the sleeping bags, the tent, and the supplies to start a fire. I got all the food ready for the next days breakfast. And that was that... we headed up the mountain. We found some camping grounds and pulled in to go find our spot (using two flashlights). Once we pulled in, this lady jumped out of her camper and asked us what we were doing. We told her we were just going to camp there. She looked at us like we were retarded and said "At this time of night?" Well, this lady worked there and we found out that we had to PAY to camp there for the night. AND on top of paying for a campsite, we had to pay for the firewood. WEIRD huh?!? After we filled out an envelope with our information and paid the ridiculous sum, the lady showed us where we'd be camping for the night. It was like checking into a hotel... so strange. That part is NOT like camping in Wyoming at all. Anyhow... the lady let us be and we began to set up our tent. The tent that we used was NOT ours and so we were NOT familiar with it at all. Nick was SURE that he could do it with no problem though in the dark. Well you know what they say... the third time is a charm. ;) It was VERY interesting setting up a tent by using a flashlight. After we got the tent up and got all settled in, we built a fire and had our FHE. Then we headed for bed. I didn't sleep at all and so it was a VERY long night. I can't complain though, because the moon was shinning SO bright right above our tent all night, it was beautiful! When 7 am rolled around Nick started our fire and we began to make breakfast. Well, with how much TIME I had to get things packed we're lucky we even ate breakfast. LOL!! We had sausage, eggs, and hashbrowns and it was SOO GOOD!! However, I forgot plates and enough sliverware for the two of us. SO we ate out of the pan with one fork and one spoon. It was very interesting, but pretty fun! ;) After breakfast we hung out for a bit, cleaned up camp (taking down a tent is SOO much easier), and drove back down to Las Vegas. It was very short, but we're glad we did it. :)
(The pictures on the slide show go in order of the events explained.)



6 comments:

Destiny said...

It looks like you guys had lots of fun! Way to be spontaneous :) Good luck with school!

Emily Asay said...

thats pretty funny, i'm glad u guys went!

Shannon said...

That is funny, awesome though, keepin' it fresh, lol. We hope to go camping here soon before it's too cold, but we've been plannin' for months haha. Yep, Dec's gettin' big, eating solids now!

Jason & Claire said...

I love doing things like that. You have to go when you have time and just enjoy making the memories. I used to cancel things like that all of the time because I didn't have enough time to make it perfect. An imperfect trip (with no utensils) is way more memorable. I'm glad you went and had such a great time.

We do need to get together soon. We have been home 3 nights in the last 3 weeks so we have kind of lost touch with the world. We had to get everything in before school starts. But, school starts now and we are back to normal so I will definitely be calling you and Danbri. ;)

Dana said...

Cute story! Yeah, paying for camping is lame, I definitely agree. Anyway, Peggy did not seem too upset about the mouse being dead, amazingly enough. She was too busy laughing at me! ;)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some of our family campin' trips, huh Nick?? You are so much like your Dad. Good times!! Love you both, Mom A.